Match Day 2018
The unanswered question
NICAS will organise a new edition of Match Day on 5 June 2018 in the Auditorium of the Rijksmuseum. The Match Day is meant to bring together researchers with an interest in cultural heritage to find answers and solutions to questions and problems in the fields of art history and conservation.
This edition of Match Day has the theme ‘The unanswered question’. The purpose of the day is to match art historians, curators, conservators or collection managers with unsolved problems or as yet unanswerable questions to researchers from the humanities and sciences to find solutions and answers together.
We would like to invite everyone who thinks they have that type of question or problem to present these with a pitch on Match Day. The pitches will be in English, and will be approximately 5 minutes in length; we urge presenters to keep their pitches short and to the point. We do not wish to present already elaborated project proposals with already fixed questions and methods. We are looking for open questions, inviting the audience to join in thinking about potential ways of finding solutions and answers, making new collaborations - 'matches' - possible.
In addition to the pitches, we will invite four keynote speakers, who will give presentations with examples of how science can stimulate art historical research and the conservation of cultural heritage. For those who do not yet know the research facilities of the Ateliergebouw, we will provide the possibility of guided tours in the building. More information about these tours will follow shortly.
All people wishing to attend the event are required to register. You can either register as attending audience, or as the presenter of a pitch. Please note that even if the pitch has more authors, we ask that the actual presenter of the pitch registers him/herself with the abstract and presentation of the pitch, and that the other members of the group register as regular attendees.
Register without pitch
If you are not presenting a pitch, please use the button below to register for the event:
Register with pitch
If you are presenting a pitch, please take note of the following instructions:
- Please submit a single-page abstract (A4) including pictures, in pdf (max. 2 MB). You can choose your own format and style.
- Please submit a PowerPoint presentation of no more than 3-5 slides (max. 4 MB). Please use a widescreen format (16:9) for the presentations. Please refrain from using movies or links to external pages/locations.
- When an abstract and presentation are submitted, the person submitting confirms having permission from all participating authors/institutions regarding the publication of the abstract in the NICAS Match Day note book that will be distributed among the people attending the event.
- When more authors are involved, the presenter of the pitch on Match Day should register with the pitch, while the other authours, if attending, should register themselves as regular attendees.
- If the number of applicants for pitch slots greatly outnumber the number of available slots, a selection may be necessary based on the relevance of the call to the content and criteria of the call. The organisers will make every effort to ensure the maximum number of pitches can be presented, and every pitch, even those that will not be presented, will be published in the NICAS Match Day note booke.
If you want to present a pitch, please use the button below to register for the event: